“The mental divide between HIV and non-HIV work is a topic of subsequent discussion. Mental health issues and other barriers MSM have in accessing services need to be addressed too” said Aniruddh Vasudevan, Director, The Shakti Centre, Chennai. Aniruddh was speaking at the State Consultation for MSM and Transgender, in Science City, Kolkata. This Consultation was organized by MANAS Bangla with support from Volunteer Services Overseas (VSO) India and West Bengal State AIDS Prevention & Control Society (WBSAP&CS).
“In a study done in Chennai where 220 MSM participated, one of the findings was that only 26% respondents had ever accessed HIV services” said Aniruddh. The data may be debated, but the assumption that HIV interventions are reaching out to all MSM and transgender people is probably not right. In the Chennai study, 74% of MSM and transgender respondents had never accessed HIV services. Also the needs of the MSM and transgender community go beyond HIV related services.
“Getting these MSM and transgender people who are not yet reached by HIV interventions, is a challenge” says Aniruddh. And solution might lie in integrating MSM and transgender component in other interventions like those on sexual and reproductive health services, mental health services, and other areas in order to move towards a sustainable community development approach.
Mental health professionals need to be sensitive to MSM and transgender issues. “My work in the past has been around mental health issues of LGBT people. It is a crisis – number of psychiatrist and quacks who are offering therapies to ‘cure’ MSM and Transgender people and number of parents who are seeking out such services is alarming” said Aniruddh.
“The drop-in centres and other AIDS-related healthcare service centres are providing counselling for HIV to MSM and transgender people, but counselling for mental health issues is not being looked upon adequately” said Aniruddh Vasudevan.
“Many transgender people in Tamil Nadu are school drop-outs. Many transgender activists who went for sex reassignment surgeries in Tamil Nadu broke down, cried, due to the trauma and insult they had to face while going through the psychiatric counselling process” said Aniruddh Vasudevan.
“We are not looking at working with parents of MSM and transgender people. The number of parents who have started calling us, or want to know what to do if their children have gender identity related problems has upped remarkably. We don’t have resources to attend to this crisis – parents and siblings are at times don’t know whom to talk to, and they can potentially be very supportive if engaged properly” says Aniruddh.
The need for collaborative and holistic approach to help better the quality of life of MSM and transgender people is undoubtedly compelling, and goes beyond HIV prevention, treatment, care and support programmes. Let us hope that different government and non-government development interventions will listen to these voices coming out of the State Consultation for MSM and Transgender in Science City, Kolkata.
Elites TV News, USA
Citizen News Service (CNS), India/Thailand
News Trust News, New Delhi, Delhi
World Care Council
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Drug-resistant TB
- Childhood TB
- TB vaccine
- HIV vaccine
- TB-HIV co-infection
- TB-Diabetes co-morbidity
- Gender and TB
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Hepatitis B Virus (HBV)
- Hepatitis C Virus (HCV)
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
- Injecting drug use & harm reduction
- Swine flu
- Lung health
- Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs)
- Tropical diseases
- Health research
- Gender justice
- Child rights and health
Special Days for health communications
- World Cancer Day: 4 February
- International Women's Day: 8 March
- World Water Day: 22 March
- World Tuberculosis Day: 24 March
- World Health Day: 7 April
- World Malaria Day: 25 April
- World Asthma Day: 1st Tuesday of May
- World No Tobacco Day: 31 May
- World Environment Day: 5 June
- World Hepatitis Day: 28 July
- World Heart Day: 29 September
- World Mental Health Day: 10 October
- World Pneumonia Day: 12 November
- World Diabetes Day: 14 November
- World COPD Day: 20 November
- 16 days of activism against gender violence: 25 November – 10 December
- World AIDS Day: 1 December
- International Human Rights Day: 10 December
- Communal harmony
- Dalit rights and caste equity
- Lokpal Bill
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA)
- Nuclear disarmament and peace
- Palestine and Israel
- Right To Education (RTE)
- Right To Information (RTI)
- Trade agreements and right to health
- CNS Correspondents
- How to become a CNS Correspondent?
- CNS Health Fellowship Programme
- CNS Health Justice Media Awards
- CNS Webinars
- CNS Content Submission Policy and Agreement