Asthma Drug Facility (ADF) said at the 41st Union World Conference on Lung Health in Berlin, Germany that "ADF improves affordability of essential asthma medicines in developing countries." Read more
It is not only important for the countries, particularly low- and middle- income countries to have access to affordable asthma medicines but quality is important to monitor as well. The Asthma Drug Facility (ADF) is a mechanism to improve access to affordable and quality asthma medicines where they are needed most, said Cécile Macé.
Lack of adequate skilled healthcare providers to manage asthma care is also a critical impediment to the response. Improving skills of healthcare personnel by the development of guidelines and training packages, is another key priority to improve response to asthma in low- and middle- income countries, said Cécile Macé.
Assessing quality of asthma care by regular monitoring, is another key challenge, said Cécile Macé.
Policy makers and economists need to understand that asthma care is a smart investment –because costs increase manifold when asthma is either not treated at all or incorrectly treated. So a wise strategy and to make the best use of every resource available, it is vital to manage asthma in the right way and provide standard treatment and care, said Cécile Macé. We need to reduce the unnecessary expense of emergency asthma, said Cécile Macé.
Due to sustained advocacy, one of the outcomes is that there is more financial support available for asthma programmes. Around 30 countries received funds through the Global Fund to fight AIDS, TB and Malaria (GFATM) under their tuberculosis (TB) application to implement the Practical Approach to Lung health (PAL) strategy, which is a part of the WHO Stop TB Strategy, which also includes among others, an asthma care component. Other health financing mechanisms need to consider supporting asthma care as well.
One of the methods for financing medicines is a revolving drug fund (RDF) in which after an initial capital investment, medicine supplies are replenished with monies collected from the sales of medicines. We should encourage donors to support the purchase of asthma medicines through initiatives like Revolving Funds. Revolving fund is a sustainable solution for asthma response, said Cécile Macé.
It will be strategic opportunity for the forthcoming United Nations (UN) Summit on non-communicable diseases (UN Summit on NCDs) in September 2011 to also address this need to ensure access to essential asthma medicines in low- and middle- income countries.
Bobby Ramakant - CNS
Citizen News Service (CNS), India/Thailand
Elites TV News, USA
Now Public News, India
Topix News, Berlin, Germany
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Drug-resistant TB
- Childhood TB
- TB vaccine
- HIV vaccine
- TB-HIV co-infection
- TB-Diabetes co-morbidity
- Gender and TB
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Hepatitis B Virus (HBV)
- Hepatitis C Virus (HCV)
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
- Injecting drug use & harm reduction
- Swine flu
- Lung health
- Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs)
- Tropical diseases
- Health research
- Gender justice
- Child rights and health
Special Days for health communications
- World Cancer Day: 4 February
- International Women's Day: 8 March
- World Water Day: 22 March
- World Tuberculosis Day: 24 March
- World Health Day: 7 April
- World Malaria Day: 25 April
- World Asthma Day: 1st Tuesday of May
- World No Tobacco Day: 31 May
- World Environment Day: 5 June
- World Hepatitis Day: 28 July
- World Heart Day: 29 September
- World Mental Health Day: 10 October
- World Pneumonia Day: 12 November
- World Diabetes Day: 14 November
- World COPD Day: 20 November
- 16 days of activism against gender violence: 25 November – 10 December
- World AIDS Day: 1 December
- International Human Rights Day: 10 December
- Communal harmony
- Dalit rights and caste equity
- Lokpal Bill
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA)
- Nuclear disarmament and peace
- Palestine and Israel
- Right To Education (RTE)
- Right To Information (RTI)
- Trade agreements and right to health
- CNS Correspondents
- How to become a CNS Correspondent?
- CNS Health Fellowship Programme
- CNS Health Justice Media Awards
- CNS Content Submission Policy and Agreement