Lok Rajniti Manch rejects Indo US Nuclear Deal on Chernobyl disaster day (26 April)
To mark the world’s biggest accident – the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant disaster (26 April 1986) – peace activists interacted in a public meeting in Hazratganj today. “The dream to provide electricity across the country by signing the Indo US Nuclear Deal is not true” said Dr Sandeep Pandey, Magsaysay Awardee (2002) and member, National Presidium, Lok Rajniti Manch (People’s Politics Front). “Nuclear power is not a safe, affordable or better option for producing electricity. Rather nuclear power is a very dangerous and expensive option. The Indo US Nuclear Deal is actually a political and military deal” added Dr Pandey.
“The India US Nuclear Deal is not about India 's energy security. Energy security lies in using indigenous energy resources such as coal, gas, hydro, etc., and ensuring our future energy supplies from Iran and other countries in West and Central Asia ” said social activist and retired Inspector General of Police SR Darapuri. Darapuri is also contesting the Lok Sabha elections this year on behalf of Lok Rajniti Manch.
“Obviously, augmenting indigenous coal production, building hydro plants, investing in oil exploration, securing gas supplies through Iran Gas Pipeline are much more important for India's energy security than buying imported reactors and importing uranium for such nuclear plants” added Darapuri.
“There is a deliberate misinformation being created that nuclear plants will be a quick fix to our huge shortages and power cuts” said Aflatoon Desai, State President of Samajwadi Jan Parishad.
“The Nuclear Deal is a part of a larger vision which seeks to subordinate India to the US 's strategic vision. It is known that the US strategic thinking calls for dominance in all possible theatres. In Asia, the US has been handicapped that it has only one major base -- Okinawa , Japan -- in East, South-east and South Asia . The only other base it has in this region is in the Indian Ocean in Diego Garcia. That is why the US 's interest in making India as a junior partner in Asia ”, said Dr Pandey.
“The disabilities and diseases attributed to radioactive nuclear radiation have upped in the neighbouring areas where nuclear reactors, nuclear mining or nuclear waste dumping is done in India . Places like Jadugoda, where uranium mining and nuclear waste dumping is carried out, is an example where virtually every household is a living testimony of nuclear radiation hazards”, said Dr Pandey.
The peace activists rejected the Indo US Nuclear Deal and resolved to campaign for nuclear disarmament and peace.
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Drug-resistant TB
- Childhood TB
- TB vaccine
- HIV vaccine
- TB-HIV co-infection
- TB-Diabetes co-morbidity
- Gender and TB
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Hepatitis B Virus (HBV)
- Hepatitis C Virus (HCV)
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
- Injecting drug use & harm reduction
- Swine flu
- Lung health
- Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs)
- Tropical diseases
- Health research
- Gender justice
- Child rights and health
Special Days for health communications
- World Cancer Day: 4 February
- International Women's Day: 8 March
- World Water Day: 22 March
- World Tuberculosis Day: 24 March
- World Health Day: 7 April
- World Malaria Day: 25 April
- World Asthma Day: 1st Tuesday of May
- World No Tobacco Day: 31 May
- World Environment Day: 5 June
- World Hepatitis Day: 28 July
- World Heart Day: 29 September
- World Mental Health Day: 10 October
- World Pneumonia Day: 12 November
- World Diabetes Day: 14 November
- World COPD Day: 20 November
- 16 days of activism against gender violence: 25 November – 10 December
- World AIDS Day: 1 December
- International Human Rights Day: 10 December
- Communal harmony
- Dalit rights and caste equity
- Lokpal Bill
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA)
- Nuclear disarmament and peace
- Palestine and Israel
- Right To Education (RTE)
- Right To Information (RTI)
- Trade agreements and right to health
- CNS Correspondents
- How to become a CNS Correspondent?
- CNS Health Fellowship Programme
- CNS Health Justice Media Awards
- CNS Content Submission Policy and Agreement