Elections 2009: CPI, AIFB and RSP support Darapuri in Lucknow
The Communist Party of India (CPI), All India Forward Block (AIFB) and Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) have expressed their support to the Lok Rajniti Manch candidate SR Darapuri who is contesting the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections in Lucknow. Lucknow goes to poll on 30 April 2009.
Former Indian Police Service (IPS) officer SR Darapuri (retired Inspector General (IG) of Police) is a prominent social and human rights activist. He is part of the people's movements aimed at empowerment of common people. During service he was regarded as an honest and diligent officer.
Lok Rajniti Manch desires to build a new political culture which will be an alternative to the dominant money and muscle powered politics, which will bring the common people's issues to the core of politics, where the candidates will have a history of serving the people, where the politicians will not require armed security, where the candidates will strictly follow the code of conduct set up by Election Commission, where the election expenses will be made public and where the candidate will conduct himself/herself in a transparent manner and will be accountable to the people. The candidate irrespective of the result of the election will continue to serve the people.
This is a small beginning to challenge the stranglehold of crime and corruption over politics.
People who are affected by or working on issues ranging from violence against women, gender-based inequalities, right to health, right to education, reproductive health and rights, discrimination or violence against dalit, youth-related issues, girls and children-related issues, public health, substance abuse, caste-based discrimination, and others, are interacting with Darapuri to draft his election manifesto.
Darapuri while interacting informally with the people said that he consented to fight the elections to raise people's issues and create an alternative in the otherwise grim scenario of Indian politics where corruption and criminalization has upped to an alarming level.
"Those committing themselves to serve the people need to be honest and sensitive to people's issues" said Dr Sandeep Pandey, Ramon Magsaysay Awardee (2002) and member of National Presidium, Lok Rajniti Manch. "It is important for people's representatives to be sensitive to their issues and not just merely honest" said Pandey.
Dr Sandeep Pandey is one among those who had sought legal recourse to challenge the film-star turned Samajwadi Party's candidate for Lucknow lok sabha constituency Sanjay Dutt. Later the Supreme Court ruling made it clear that Sanjay Dutt cannot contest elections from Lucknow this time.
Lok Rajniti Manch indeed gives a hope to the people, particularly the youth. Many young people have organized themselves as Project Vijay to root out corruption and increase accountability and transparency in the system. They are also supporting Darapuri and raising key issues to generate meaningful dialogue among general public.
- Bobby Ramakant
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Drug-resistant TB
- Childhood TB
- TB vaccine
- HIV vaccine
- TB-HIV co-infection
- TB-Diabetes co-morbidity
- Gender and TB
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Hepatitis B Virus (HBV)
- Hepatitis C Virus (HCV)
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
- Injecting drug use & harm reduction
- Swine flu
- Lung health
- Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs)
- Tropical diseases
- Health research
- Gender justice
- Child rights and health
Special Days for health communications
- World Cancer Day: 4 February
- International Women's Day: 8 March
- World Water Day: 22 March
- World Tuberculosis Day: 24 March
- World Health Day: 7 April
- World Malaria Day: 25 April
- World Asthma Day: 1st Tuesday of May
- World No Tobacco Day: 31 May
- World Environment Day: 5 June
- World Hepatitis Day: 28 July
- World Heart Day: 29 September
- World Mental Health Day: 10 October
- World Pneumonia Day: 12 November
- World Diabetes Day: 14 November
- World COPD Day: 20 November
- 16 days of activism against gender violence: 25 November – 10 December
- World AIDS Day: 1 December
- International Human Rights Day: 10 December
- Communal harmony
- Dalit rights and caste equity
- Lokpal Bill
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA)
- Nuclear disarmament and peace
- Palestine and Israel
- Right To Education (RTE)
- Right To Information (RTI)
- Trade agreements and right to health
- CNS Correspondents
- How to become a CNS Correspondent?
- CNS Health Fellowship Programme
- CNS Health Justice Media Awards
- CNS Webinars
- CNS Content Submission Policy and Agreement