UPASICON 2009 ends with updates on cutting-edge laparoscopic and endoscopic surgeries
The three-days surgeons' conclave - 35th annual conference of Association of Surgeons of India (ASI), UP Chapter, (UPASICON 2009) entered its third day on Sunday, 8 November 2009. UPASICON 2009 is being organized by Department of Surgery (General), CSMMU in collaboration with Society of Endoscopic, Laparoscopy Surgeons of India (SELSI), UP, under the leadership of ASI-UP President-elect and UPASICON 2009 Chairman Professor (Dr) Rama Kant, Secretary Dr HS Pahwa, and Joint-Secretary Dr Suresh Kumar.
The last day of the Conference saw the presentation of more Video Workshops and very informative guest lectures. It gave an opportunity to the participating surgeons to interact directly with noted experts, to understand the various aspects of laparoscopic and open surgical procedures.
Prof Dr E Fukuma (Japan) a pioneer in the field of endoscopic breast surgery and cryosurgery, gave an insight on hybrid skills with such surgeries for breast cancer. This lecture ably augmented his Video Presentation on Oncoplastic Breast Surgery With Endo videoscopic Approach, given yesterday.
In keeping with his passionate involvement of management of trauma, Dr Mohammad Zubair Ansari from Sandville Hospital, Birmingham, UK, spoke on ATLS – Advance Trauma and Life Support. He also conducted a trauma workshop for surgeons.
Other informative lectures enlightened the medical fraternity about the Mess Created By Hernia Meshes, Cost Effective Laser Ablation of Varicose Veins Treatment, Management of Urinary Tract Obstruction in Children, Management of Acute Pancreatitis and treatment of male infertility.
Video presentations, touching upon a vast range of topics, proved to be as lively and educative as of the day before.
Dr S.K.Mishra of Kanpur gave a video presentation on ‘Complications of Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy, while ‘Points of Technique of Radical Cholecystectomy’ were discussed by Dr Sonkar.
While Dr Kureel taught the audience How To Do A Proper Colostomy, Dr Rawal of Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Research Institute presented techniques of various permanent Urinary Diversions.
Dr Anant Kumar of Apollo Hospital, gave a video presentation on ‘Laparoscopic Radical Nephrectomy’.
The curtains were drawn on the conference with the Valedictory Function.
UPASICON 2009 more than succeeded in its aim to provide an excellent platform for all practicing surgeons of various streams (gynaecologists, paedriatic surgeons, gastro-surgeons, urologists) interested in advanced laparoscopic procedures; as well as surgeons and residents aspiring for trauma care – a vital component of medical education.
(The author is the Editor of Citizen News Service (CNS), has worked earlier with State Planning Institute, UP, and teaches Physics at India's prestigious Loreto Convent. Email: email@example.com, website: www.citizen-news.org)
Citizen News Service (CNS), India/Thailand
News Trust News, India
Elites TV News, USA
Healthcare Industry Today
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Drug-resistant TB
- Childhood TB
- TB vaccine
- HIV vaccine
- TB-HIV co-infection
- TB-Diabetes co-morbidity
- Gender and TB
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Hepatitis B Virus (HBV)
- Hepatitis C Virus (HCV)
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
- Injecting drug use & harm reduction
- Swine flu
- Lung health
- Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs)
- Tropical diseases
- Health research
- Gender justice
- Child rights and health
Special Days for health communications
- World Cancer Day: 4 February
- International Women's Day: 8 March
- World Water Day: 22 March
- World Tuberculosis Day: 24 March
- World Health Day: 7 April
- World Malaria Day: 25 April
- World Asthma Day: 1st Tuesday of May
- World No Tobacco Day: 31 May
- World Environment Day: 5 June
- World Hepatitis Day: 28 July
- World Heart Day: 29 September
- World Mental Health Day: 10 October
- World Pneumonia Day: 12 November
- World Diabetes Day: 14 November
- World COPD Day: 20 November
- 16 days of activism against gender violence: 25 November – 10 December
- World AIDS Day: 1 December
- International Human Rights Day: 10 December
- Communal harmony
- Dalit rights and caste equity
- Lokpal Bill
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA)
- Nuclear disarmament and peace
- Palestine and Israel
- Right To Education (RTE)
- Right To Information (RTI)
- Trade agreements and right to health
- CNS Correspondents
- How to become a CNS Correspondent?
- CNS Health Fellowship Programme
- CNS Health Justice Media Awards
- CNS Webinars
- CNS Content Submission Policy and Agreement