The occasion is the first-ever northern states regional meet of the Gender Community of United Nations sponsored Solution Exchange – a online platform for e-discussions. The event will have deliberations, discussions, presentations and experience sharing on the topic of “Involving men as Partners in prevention of gender-based violence’’.
Social Activist and Actor, Rahul Bose, who is a Resource Group and Advisory Team Member of Solution Exchange for Gender Community is likely to be present on the occasion.
"The event will also witness a fruitful partnership among the civil society organisations members as well as UN Volunteers – many of them would meet each other for the first time, though they had been participating in the e-discussions on the Gender Community on UN Solution Exchange site on a variety of topic related to gender," said Malika Basu, the UN Volunteer and the event convenor.
The meeting is being held to commemorate the ‘International Year of the Youth - 2010’ and will be supported by Partners for Prevention, UNIFEM, UNICEF, National Foundation for Communal Harmony (NFCH), OXFAM India - Lucknow, Find Your Feet, Sahbhagi Shiksha Kendra, and CASA. The activities of the Regional Meet will also discuss ‘Involving Youth in Communal Harmony’.
"The two chosen themes are highly pertinent for the six northern states, which would represent their cases and knowledge on the issue during the meet," said Augustine Valiath, the communication specialist at UNICEF Lucknow office. According to him, the aim of "Promoting Partnerships" is to promote sharing among development practitioners of the region, so that they learn from each other, share and collaborate and thereby advocate ‘zero tolerance’ for violence in any form – be it gender based violence or communal violence. Augustine said both types of violence affect girls and women disproportionately. It will facilitate practitioners work towards changing the practices and attitudes that provoke, perpetrate and pardon violence (of any kind).
The two-day event will bring together Solution Exchange Gender Community members as well as others representing Government, NGOs, academic institutions and development organisations from six Northern States viz. Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
During the Meet, Many organisations will put up their stalls to display their organisational work on the themes chosen for the event. There will be two panel discussions on the two themes, which will focus on innovative initiatives; challenges in success of initiatives; determining proactive steps to meet the challenges and suggesting follow-up actions on priority basis. At the end of the discussion, the panel will come up with specific guidelines or recommendations with inputs from participants.
The event will end on 08 May evening with United Nations Volunteers, leading a mega event involving all participants to bring out a symbolic message on "promoting partnerships."
(The author is a senior journalist based in Lucknow, India)
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Drug-resistant TB
- Childhood TB
- TB vaccine
- HIV vaccine
- TB-HIV co-infection
- TB-Diabetes co-morbidity
- Gender and TB
- Sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Hepatitis B Virus (HBV)
- Hepatitis C Virus (HCV)
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
- Injecting drug use & harm reduction
- Swine flu
- Lung health
- Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs)
- Tropical diseases
- Health research
- Gender justice
- Child rights and health
Special Days for health communications
- World Cancer Day: 4 February
- International Women's Day: 8 March
- World Water Day: 22 March
- World Tuberculosis Day: 24 March
- World Health Day: 7 April
- World Malaria Day: 25 April
- World Asthma Day: 1st Tuesday of May
- World No Tobacco Day: 31 May
- World Environment Day: 5 June
- World Hepatitis Day: 28 July
- World Heart Day: 29 September
- World Mental Health Day: 10 October
- World Pneumonia Day: 12 November
- World Diabetes Day: 14 November
- World COPD Day: 20 November
- 16 days of activism against gender violence: 25 November – 10 December
- World AIDS Day: 1 December
- International Human Rights Day: 10 December
- Communal harmony
- Dalit rights and caste equity
- Lokpal Bill
- Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA)
- Nuclear disarmament and peace
- Palestine and Israel
- Right To Education (RTE)
- Right To Information (RTI)
- Trade agreements and right to health
- CNS Correspondents
- How to become a CNS Correspondent?
- CNS Health Fellowship Programme
- CNS Health Justice Media Awards
- CNS Webinars
- CNS Content Submission Policy and Agreement